Here are some quick tips on how to make your event stand out from all the rest and get the media attention it deserves:
1. Make it relevant and timely. Media circuits are not going to cover your event if they don’t feel there is any connection to the audience. Do your research and know who the primary audience is. Research what the audience finds most interesting and plan the event around that.
2. What is the potential for word-of-mouth. Get people talking about your event. It cannot just be about relying on the media, you have to get people interested. Tell people the perks of attending this event and guarantee the use of social media and electronics i.e.- photographs, video cameras, tweeting, posting Facebook status, etc.
3. Cover all the bases. Be sure to have a set plan with your event. Do not allow for the media to find a hole in your stunt. Because if they find a hole, your event will become about the failure rather than the success.
4. Anticipate the response from the media. Make sure there is a clear message for your stunt. What do you want this to be remembered for? Laughter, anger, warmth or charitable work- that’s up to you to decide.
5. Prepare…Prepare…Prepare! Be sure to have all materials needed before the start of the event. This will help ensure the event running smoothly with no mistakes.
Media attention helps events gain credibility. With these “how to” tips on how to gain and sustain media attention, there is no reason why your event can’t be as successful as you hope!
This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Alison Curran.