Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Three Semesters of Knowledge for the Future

When I was hired as a staff member at PRowl Public Relations for the spring 2010 semester, I was a little nervous and unsure about what to expect. I had only taken an Intro to PR course and had no PR experience. I didn't know the elements of a press release or etiquette for pitching and following up. Looking back, I can see how much I have learned and how far I have come since then- beyond PR skills. I will take all that I have learned during my past three semesters at PRowl Public Relations with me as I begin my professional life. Before I go, I would like to share a few of those things:

  • Be courteous to everyone you meet. You never know who could end up being your co-worker, boss, or client down the road.
  • Murphy's Law exists, but you can't let it stop you. No matter how thoroughly you plan ahead, things will still find a way to go wrong at some point. The key is being able to react quickly, calmly, and effectively to prevent obstacles from becoming catastrophes.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's always better to ask than to assume. I always appreciated when staff members asked me questions. Asking questions doesn't make you look silly, it shows that you care about meeting expectations and doing the job right.

I wish the best of luck to my fellow 2011 graduates and to the continuing members of PRowl Public Relations!

No comments: