Monday, October 18, 2010

Following Up

Since I graduate this May, I decided to start looking for jobs. Knowing the power of a resume and cover letter for making good firsts impressions, I've been spending a lot of time on both. Then I got to thinking about the rest of the job application process, and I was really excited when I came across this article by Lindsay Olson for U.S. News and World Report about tips for following up after sending a resume.

"Your follow-up should be concise, polite, and reiterate your interest in the position," Olson says. She also says offers some further advice:

Do:
  • keep your follow-up positive
  • be specific
  • emphasize the qualifications that make you a good candidate
Don't:
  • assume the company recognizes your name or automatically knows what position you applied for.
  • re-send the same resume and cover letter several times. If you haven't heard back after three follow-ups, move on.

Be sure to read the article, and for valuable further reading, also check out some of the links Olson has provided.

No comments: