Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Benefits of Getting Involved with PRSSA

First, I would like to welcome back all members of PRSSA and PRowl for the upcoming 2010-2011 school year at Temple University. This will be my fourth year as a member of PRSSA. That is a total of eight semesters, or 1,460 days, of watching PRSSA members come and go upon graduation. You may think, “Wow, that is a lot of time dedicated to one organization.” Yes, when I think back on my time spent in PRSSA, it is a lot of time, but I have enjoyed every minute of it. During my freshman year at Temple, I never would have thought that I would be leading PRSSA as president of the organization. I must say that it is a bit surreal still, but I have grown so much by being a part of the chapter and I feel confident to enter the working world upon graduation in May.

Some of the benefits of getting involved with PRSSA include being a member of a professional organization in your major, meeting new friends with common interests, hearing professionals from around the area speak about their experiences, and networking! Networking is a very important part of being an undergraduate student and being a member of PRSSA provides students with many networking opportunities. Through PRSSA, members can hear about internship and job opportunities through our listserv, from professionals, and even from other PRSSA members.

The PRSSA committees also allow members to express ideas and plan events for the chapter. This idea was developed in the Spring 2009 semester and our four committees are now growing and adapting to the ideas of our members. Members can choose between the Newsletter, PR, Fundraising, or Community Service committees. All of the committees allow members to gain hands on experience and become involved in our chapter.

I am excited for the upcoming school year with PRSSA. We are having our first guest speaker, LeeAnn Augustine, coming in today to speak about non-profit PR. Our first bake sale is Wednesday and our first community service event is at the ING Rock `N Roll Half Marathon on Sunday, September 19. I encourage students of any major to come and check out PRSSA. We are always growing and ready for more ideas from our members. I look forward to meeting everyone throughout the year.

This guest blog was written by PRSSA President Jade Barnes.

No comments: