Thursday, July 29, 2010

Things I Didn't Think I Would Have to Know

One of the things I loved about being a Communications major in college was that I was required to take any business classes and only two math classes. It wasn't until my senior year of college that the realization set in that I would someday have to figure out how to pay back my student loans and how to contribute to a 401(k).

After talking with some business professors and finding books to read about these topics, I was still feeling a little lost. Then I decided to attend a financial presentation for college students at the Fox School of Business. The program covered topics like investments, student loans and credit. It was also directed by Fox School Alums, so they had an understanding of what it's like to be a Temple Student.

When I started my new job in June 2010 I felt comfortable talking about the options for investing in a 401(k) and I understood a lot of what was being presented to me. I'm also not as nervous to start paying back loans because I have a better understanding of how to tackle the situation, thanks to attending the program.

My advice? Take a business class no matter what your major is, look for programs like the one I attended last spring, and be prepared to deal with topics outside your area of study in the "real world." Just because you didn't go to college for finance, doesn't mean it won't school you when you graduate.

*Temple students: The program I attended last April was called "Spring Forward" and it was presented by the Fox School of Business Alumni Association. Keep an eye out for a program like it next spring!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words about Fox! Glad you enjoyed the event!