Saturday, March 6, 2010

Twitter: Weather at Your Fingertips

New to the “tweeting” world, I hadn’t a clue what exactly the purpose of a Twitter was. It wasn’t until the fateful February snowstorm that I learned of its capabilities.

Snow was falling hard that second week in February, and I was ironically snowed in with a broken television. I had only my laptop and one small window to provide entertainment for the rest of the night. I figured there was no time like the present to create my Twitter account. Once I made my log in, I was instantly lost on what to do and wanted to delete it. Instead, I decided to put the site to the test. If it could perform miracles, I would rethink deleting my account.

My skepticism was put to rest when the 6abc’s Twitter page informed me of the miracle I had hoped for: the exact accumulation that day, the fact that I’d be snowed in the next, and that I’d be seeing sunshine in the near future. I was officially sold. Who needs TV with its commercials when you have an instant weather forecast with the click of a mouse? All I need to know is the basics: boots or sandals? Jacket or tank top? Umbrella or sunglasses? All in 140 characters or less.

Follow the 6abc page as well as all other news station Twitter pages for your instant weather update without leaving your computer chair.

This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Elizabeth Offner. Follow her on Twitter @elizabethoffner.

No comments: