Sunday, November 15, 2009

Having a “Roaring” Time: Interning at the Philadelphia Zoo

Most of my friends have been interning since sophomore year, so when the fall of my senior year rolled around and I hadn’t had any internships, I felt it was time for me to catch up. I searched for an internship using resources from Temple’s Career Center, and through the OwlNetwork I found a bunch of openings for communications interns. I applied for two positions, one with a small marketing agency in Plymouth Meeting and the other with the Philadelphia Zoo. Working for the Zoo seemed like a fabulous opportunity but I didn’t think I’d really get the job.

As it turns out, I did get the job and have enjoyed it ever since my first day. I was so nervous that I wouldn’t know what to do or I would disappoint my bosses, but they have been willing to help and answer all of my questions. They also understand that I want to gain as much knowledge and experience as I can while doing meaningful work, not just running to get coffee or making copies. I have had the chance to write multiple press releases and media advisories so I can practice the most important skill in PR, writing. Right now I am also learning how to work with metrics and understand ad value equivalency and audience numbers. Another beneficial aspect of this internship is that I have met some great people, including valuable contacts in the media.

My favorite thing so far has been the PR surrounding the birth of our baby orangutan. Not only is it cool to see the new baby, but it’s been a great experience being involved in the process of announcing the birth to the media and holding press conferences. Mother and baby are doing well and made their public debut this past Thursday. Our efforts at media outreach were also successful.

Because I have enjoyed myself so far, I plan to intern with the Zoo again this spring before I graduate. Although I regret not searching for an internship earlier in my college career, I feel that things happen for a reason. If I had been interning earlier I may not have been able to have this wonderful experience while working with the Zoo.

This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member, Laura Macenka.

1 comment:

Andy Hornett said...

Who handles the advertising campaigns for the zoo?

a curious Temple Prof.