Sunday, August 9, 2009

It's All About Perspective

I visited my dad at work for lunch on Friday and we got to talking with one of his friends in the cafeteria. My dad's friend owns the catering service that operates the building's cafeteria, and he and my dad were exchanging stories about how bad the economy is right now.

I guess the conversation had made me a little depressed, and, seeing it on my face, my dad's friend asked me what was wrong.

"I can't figure out if the economy will be better or worse when I'm ready to join the workforce," I said.

Here's what he said in reply: "It doesn't matter. Whether the economy is good or bad, you'll have no choice but to get up everyday and make the most of it. We all have our issues, and the economy is certainly a big one right now. But there have always been serious issues affecting all generations, and we have always found ways to make things work. No matter what issues your generation faces when you join the workforce, you'll get up everyday and try your best. And if you do that, you will always eat."

I thought his take on things was really insightful, and it sort of put the whole issue of the economy in perspective for me; the circumstances are what they are, and we have no choice but to try our best, stay optimistic and keep moving through each day. I think he's right: if you are willing to bust your butt, you'll always find a way to get by.

No comments: