Monday, April 20, 2009

Being My Own Publicist

As a student studying public relations, I have learned a lot this year about compiling media lists, writing press releases and pitching. However, one of the most important lessons I learned recently did not come in the classroom.

After my summer plans fell through, I realized that I would be able to take on an internship during the summer months. I was really excited by this prospect, but was also worried because I would be spending the summer in my hometown, which is located in a relatively small media market. I also had very few networking connections in my hometown. I decided that launching a small-scale PR campaign of sorts would be the best way to help me find an internship. After all, if I can't do PR for myself, how can I expect to do it for others in my future career?

I started by doing a google search of PR firms in my hometown, making a list of the firms that came up and taking down their addresses and phone numbers. I also spent a significant amount of time reading through each of their websites and learning about what each firm was like and the type of work they did. This stage reminded me a lot of putting together a media list.

When I was finished with this, I analyzed the information to see which firms would be the best fit. I also decided, based on the information I had about each firm, what would be the best way to "pitch" each my my "targets." I designed and sent an email pitch to each of the firms that interested me most and followed these up with phone calls a few days later, during which I pitched myself over the phone.

Though the majority of firms I spoke with did not offer internship programs, one firm owner offered to forward my pitch to some of his contacts. Another of the firms was interested in taking on an intern and, after reviewing my resume and cover letter, offered me a chance to intern with them! Besides resulting in an internship, my "campaign" was a great experience. It gave me a chance to practice some of my skills and I felt that it was an effective way to foster some networking relationships in my hometown. Learning to do PR for myself has been one of my most valuable lessons on my path to a career in public relations.

This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations firm staff member, Emily Woodward. Follow her on Twitter: @ecwdwd

No comments: