Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Let The Madness Begin! AND...A Question About The Economy.

The madness is in the air as the first round of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament begins tomorrow. Philadelphia is a host city of the first two rounds, which is great for the City. Hopefully with all of the guests and attention Philadelphia is getting, it will help boost the economy.

As I've said before, I am an intern at the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau (PCVB). Today, I volunteered to help with the welcoming information at the hotels all of the different teams are staying at. I was at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown greeting guests with travel and visitors information for Philadelphia. Villanova was staying at this hotel, so I didn't get as much traffic as I had expected because Villanova is right outside of the City. From what other interns told me, the other hotels were bustling with out-of-towners, as UConn, American and UCLA.

One guest of the hotel asked me an interesting question: given how the economy is right now, is it necessary for Villanova, who is only 20 minutes outside of the city, to have a hotel for the tournament? What do you think?

No comments: