Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Importance of Networking

While on spring break, I wanted to make sure that I made a visit to my old high school to visit my former French teacher, only referred to as "Madame." As I made my way through the doors after the 2:30 p.m. dismissal bell rang, I felt a thousand times more than uncomfortable. Weaving my way through the hallways as the high school kids were leaving for the day, I found myself walking with my head down, hoping to avoid the few kids I still know that are in high school.

But, I ran into my old English teacher, Mr. Keiner! He's an awesome teacher and made sitting through his class extremely fun. We caught up briefly in the hallway dodging the students in the senior wing, and talked about a few things that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I graduate next May, and we talked about the economy and what the job market's going to look like in a year. Hopefully it looks better than it does now, but it will still be competitive no matter what. Before we said "goodbye," he told me to keep in touch, especially after I graduate. His sister-in-law works in PR in Harrisburg, and he said he could talk to her and give me her contact information. Of course he can't promise me anything, but he still offered me the opportunity to have her as a contact.

As I was talking to Madame the state of the economy, of course, was one of our topics of conversation. She stressed the importance of being involved in school and having experience. I already have two internships under my belt and am in PRowl Public Relations and PRSSA (serving board positions in both). Hopefully, that will make me stand out.

The other day I was talking to my cousin, and we were talking about the importance of internships and networking. She even said she could talk to her friend who works in PR, and is willing to get us in contact with each other.

I know this all sounds so very repetitive, but it's true. No matter who you talk to, they will all tell you the same thing...NETWORK! So go to events, get an internship and start collecting those business cards!

No comments: