Tuesday, November 18, 2008

PR Majors are Getting Jobs!

The more I think about getting a job after graduation, the more nervous I get. With the economy in shambles and people from all different kinds of companies getting laid off or fired, it's not looking good. However, last night I was reading the November 2008 issue of Public Relations Tactics (published by PRSA) and an article quickly caught my eye.

"Survey: PR students have highest level of employment among journalism and communications graduates" (Amy Jacques)

After seeing that title, I had to read on! Here are the things that I learned from article:

1. The results came from an annual survey called "Annual Survey of Journalism & Mass Communication Graduates" that was done by the University of Georgia.

2. The participants were 2, 271 spring grads from 83 universities around the county!

3. 63.3 percent of bachelor's degree grads had jobs by October 31, 2007.

4. PR students had the highest level of full-time employment in 2007!

5. 45 percent of the survey participants said they were in professional organizations like PRSSA, SPJ and Ad Club.

This really boosted my spirits, and made me realize even more what a good idea it is to be involved in professional organizations. So keep your heads up PR majors, things aren't as bad as they seem!

No comments: