Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Podcamp Philly

This weekend, I had the privilege of attending Podcamp Philly, which can be described as,

"a BarCamp-style UnConference dedicated to podcasting, blogging, video bloging and all things New Media."

I arrived at the Tuttleman Learning Center, on our very own campus of Temple University, and was amazed at the number of people who had traveled from Washington D.C. and New York City to attend this "unconference."

I was immediately handed a gift bag (with a headset with a microphone for the computer, and 30 free Skype minutes) and a schedule of the weekend's events.

I sat down and tried to decide which sessions I would attend, and found that there were many in the same time slot that I was interested in!

The best thing about this conference was that once in a session, you did not need to feel obligated to stay. We were promptly told that we could feel free to wander from room to room, to make the most out of our time there.

My favorite session by far had to be the intense one-hour discussion of Twitter. I have a personal Twitter, and PRowl Public Relations has a Twitter, so I was very interested to hear what other people had to say about this social tool.

Turns out that many other people use it WAY more than I do (and I thought I was addicted). One couple in the room even admitted become engaged through the site.

Well, its not my idea of romantic, but whatever floats your boat!

The weekend was a success and I definitely left Podcamp Philly with a lot more knowledge of social media tools than I did when I first arrived.

No comments: