Monday, July 14, 2008

Is This Appropriate?

This image is featured on the cover of this week's issue of The New Yorker.

After the initial shock of the image, I have to ask myself, is this appropriate? Have elections become so dirty that we are resorting to stereotyping and making false assumptions? Well the answer to that question is simple and clear: Yes, we have stooped this low.

Barack Obama is depicted as a Muslim fist bumping his wife Michelle Obama is depicted carrying a gun wearing camouflage. An American flag is burning in the background

Yes, I understand this is meant to be satirical but I don't really find it funny in any way.

If anything, I find it extremely offensive because people who don't care for politics and are uneducated about the upcoming election will view this image and say, "Oh, I am definitely not voting for Obama."

From a PR standpoint, a picture's worth a thousand words, and this image is doing its job. It has created a buzz and discussion, but also has added to an already damaged reputation.

What do you think about this image? Do you buy into the 'satirical' explanation, or do you find it offensive? I would really appreciate responses because I am shocked that this cover even made it to the newsstands.

Click here to read an article about the image and its meaning.

No comments: